2018 National High School
Classical Guitar Competition
Open to residents of all 50 states who are attending and matriculated in a public or private high school in the above states through the date of the competition finals. Applicants may not be represented by professional management.
The Competition entry deadline has been extended to April 1, 2018.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2017 Competition:
1st prize - Ria Modak
2nd prize - Benjamin Lauring
3rd prize - Sunyyah Foristall
They are pictured with James Erickson, Assistant Festival Director (left) and Harris Becker, Festival Director.
Ria Modak will perform at the 2018 Festival on April 14.
Past First Prize Winners
Ria Modak, 2017
Kang Min Shin, 2016
Michael Vascones, 2015
Jonathan Bodian, 2014
Grace Elmer (left) & Ria Modak, second prize (tie) with first prize winner Kang Min Shin performed at the 2017 Festival on April 8.
2018 COMPETITION PRIZES:
- First Prize: $500.00 and a concert performance at the 2019 Long Island Guitar Festival's Emerging Artist Showcase.
- Second Prize: $200.00.
- Additional prizes awarded to all competitors who perform at the Festival will include accessories and strings donated by D'Addario, Savarez and Augustine.
The competition is limited to the first thirty (30) applicants to have all required materials submitted to the Long Island Guitar Festival by the stipulated deadline.
A completed application which includes a link to a web-accessible video performance and an entry fee of forty dollars ($40.00) must be received by the Long Island Guitar Festival no later than
March 24, 2018 April 1, 2018. Late entries will not be considered. Both the Competition Rules and Guidelines and Competition Application for our 2018 competition can be downloaded here in a compressed zip file.
All applicants are responsible for their own expenses such as travel, lodging, etc.
2018 COMPETITION REPERTOIRE
All applicants must perform on a nylon string, classical guitar when recording their video or performing in the semi-finals or finals.
- Performance Video. A 4 to 7 minute video sample of your playing. A link to this video, uploaded to YouTube or another web-accessible site, must be included in the application.
- Semi-finals. A piece chosen from the Heitor Villa-Lobos Complete Works for Solo Guitar, Editions Max Eschig.
- Finals. A piece chosen from the Heitor Villa-Lobos Complete Works for Solo Guitar, Editions Max Eschig AND a piece of 4 to 7 minutes in length. This may include multiple movements from the same composition, such as a suite or sonata.
For further information about repertoire and other rules and guidelines, please consult the Competition Rules and Guidelines.
All application material and the entry fee should be mailed to the address below. Checks and money orders should be made out to LIU/Long Island Guitar Festival.
DEADLINE: All application material and the entry fee must be received by
March 24, 2018 April 1, 2018.
Festival Competition Address:
Long Island Guitar Festival 2018 - Competition
LIU Post Department of Music
720 Northern Blvd.
Brookville, NY 11548
For more information please contact us at LIGFestival@aol.com or 516-299-3181.
March 23, 2018